What Is CMEP?
The Colorado Medical Exemption Program (CMEP) is a special energy assistance program offered by Xcel Energy and Black Hills Energy and overseen by the Chronic Care Collaborative. The program provides lower electric rates to customers who meet specific medical qualifications.
Who Can Participate?
Xcel Energy or Black Hills Energy customers may be eligible for CMEP if they meet the following requirements:
- Have medical conditions that require high electric use during the summer and/or use life support equipment in their homes. (Some examples include: home dialysis, oxygen and CPAP machines, and electric wheel chairs.)
- Have a household income of less than 250% of federal poverty guidelines. For Black Hills customers only – must provide proof of income.
- Complete and return the program application by May 1, 2020.
- For Xcel customers only – use a high level of electricity during June-September (more than 606 KWH of power each month).
Note: Customers must meet all qualifiers to be approved for the program.
How To Apply:
- Complete and sign the program application for Xcel Energy or Black Hills Energy.
Note: Page 2 of the application must be signed and completed by your health care provider.
- Mail or fax your completed application by May 1, 2020 to:
Colorado Medical Exemption Program
P.O. Box 461657
Aurora CO 80015-9998
Contact Sabrina Padilla
Phone or fax: 303-993-5056
Click here for CMEP frequently asked questions.