What Is CMEP?
The Colorado Medical Exemption Program (CMEP) is a special energy assistance program offered by Xcel Energy and Black Hills Energy and overseen by the Chronic Care Collaborative. The program provides lower electric rates to customers who meet specific medical qualifications.
Who Can Participate?
Xcel Energy or Black Hills Energy customers may be eligible for CMEP if they meet the following requirements:
- Have medical conditions that require higher electric use during the summer and/or use life support equipment in their homes. (Some examples include: home dialysis, oxygen and CPAP machines, and electric wheelchairs.)
- Meeting the household income eligibility of less than 400% of federal poverty guidelines.
- Complete and return the program application. For Xcel customers only the deadline is May 1 of the current calendar year. There is no deadline for Black Hills Energy customers.
- Energy usage for Black Hills customers only, the eligibility is above 780 kWh usage.
Note: Customers must meet all qualifiers to be approved for the program.
How To Apply:
- Complete and sign the program application for Xcel Energy or Black Hills Energy.
Note: Page 2 of the application must be signed and completed by your health care provider.
- Mail or fax your completed application to:
Colorado Medical Exemption Program
P.O. Box 461657
Aurora CO 80015-9998
Contact Sabrina Padilla
For more information, click here for CMEP frequently asked questions.